Grecian Dreams: A Retreat
Get ready, because for those who have travelled the world with us before know, it will be here before you know it.
Itinerary. Subject to change.
GREECE: EXPLORING THE PENINSULA & ISLANDS
September 30 – October 10, 2018
DAY 1│ ARRIVE ATHENS (D)
- Upon arrival into Athens, you’ll be picked up and transferred to Delphi (approx. 2 ½ hours)
- The site of Delphi was considered “the navel of the world, the place where heaven and earth met.”
- We can explore this archaeological site under the guidance of our professional guide who will give you a deep insight into the site’s history. We’ll also have the opportunity to visit the Oracle of Delphi.
- We can visit the site either on arrival day or the next morning, depending on your arrival time
3. Delphi and the mountainous village of Arachova are located on the slopes of Mount Parnassos, which, according to Greek mythology, was sacred to god Dionysus and the Dionysian mysteries; it was also sacred to Apollo and the Corycian nymphs, and it was the home of the Muses.
DAYS 2-4│ EXPLORE MOUNT OLYMPUS (B)
- On day 2, we’ll depart from Delphi, and head to Litochoro, on the slopes of the striking Mount Olympus, Greece’s tallest mountain and home to Zeus and the 12 Olympian gods. Driving distance approx. 3.5 hrs.
- On our first day here, Explore Kalypso canyon, the most gorgeous part of Kissavos overlooking the Aegean Sea. A short ascending walk will take us inside the canyon (20min) and another 15′ up inside the canyon will lead us to a great waterfall and pool. The 75m waterfall will leave you speechless! After enjoying the place to the utmost, taking photos, jumping and swimming in the pool, we return to our vehicle for the transfer back to Karitsa.
- The next day, visit the Castle of Platamonas, an imposing medieval fortress built in the Middle Byzantine era. Located southeast of Mount Olympus, in a strategic position, it controlled the exit of the Tempe valley and the pass from Macedonia to Thessaly. You will enjoy fantastic panoramic views over the Aegean Sea and learn more about its history and significance through a guided tour.
DAY 4│ LITOCHORO – METEORA – ZAGORI VILLAGES (B)
- On the morning of day 4 we will depart for the UNESCO Worldwide Heritage Site of Meteora (approx. 2 hrs). It is a must – see destination for anyone visiting Greece. The unique natural “stone forest” is perfectly in harmony with the manmade cliff-top monasteries, creating a striking landscape.
- You can visit one of the monasteries and learn more about the 2nd biggest Greek Orthodox community in Greece and the life of the monks. Besides the visit to the monasteries, you can also walk on top of the rock pillars and enjoy panoramic views.
- After a full day in Meteora, we can head towards the National Park of Vikos – Aoos, one of the most beautiful and unspoiled areas in the country!
DAYS 4-6│ ZAGORI AREA (B)
- This is one of the most stunning areas in Greece, ideal for people who wish to be close to nature and discover all the surrounding natural beauty.
- Traditional stone-made villages, byzantine churches, arch stone bridges, wonderful views over Vikos gorge (one of the deepest gorges in the world), rafting in Voidomatis river (one of the cleanest rivers in Europe), traditional local cuisine, and local people will all offer you a memorable experience
- Suggested activities in Zagori:
- Hiking (about 20€ pp for a 3 hrs hike max): there are numerous trails in the area that take you to striking viewpoints through deep gorges, parallel to rivers, crossing arch stone bridges etc…landscapes that you think you would never find in Greece! Depending on the difficulty level and the duration you prefer to hike, we can suggest numerous options. Here are some easy to moderate trails:
- Rafting (45€ pp): enjoy rafting in one of Europe’s cleanest rivers and enjoy the magnificent surrounding landscape, while you paddle within Vikos National park! Approx. activity duration 3.5 hours, rafting 2 hrs, easy level.
- Horseback riding (35-60€ pp, depending on the ride duration): We offer varying rides according to riders’ capabilities, age, and fitness. All rides are in nature following goat tracks, dirt roads, open fields and small forest trails and all of them offer incredible views of the area!
- Cultural visits to some of the most beautiful stone made villages of the area, such as Mikro & Megalo Papigo, Vitsa, Monodendri, Kapesovo etc, where you can admire the local architecture, walk through the narrow paved alleys, and enjoy your coffee/refreshments in one of the traditional cafes.
- Visit to the Rizareios School of handicrafts, where local women learn how to make handmade textiles, carpets etc. and preserve the traditional arts of the area. Combined with a visit to the local shop where the products are exhibited and available for sale.
DAY 7│ RETURN TO ATHENS (B)
- After breakfast, we’ll head back to Athens
- This afternoon, we’ll include a 3-4 hr guided tour in Athens to visit the Acropolis with the Parthenon and the Acropolis museum (said to be one of the best in Europe), plus a short walking tour in the city center.
- Later, you explore the city on you own. There is also flea market in Athens, so you can spend the rest of the day shopping and walking around the city.
DAY 8-11│ SANTORINI (B)
- Day 8: Arrive Santorini. Pick up from airport and transfer to hotel. Afternoon wine tour/tastings. Dinner on own.
- Day 9: Start the day with a half-day tour (by minibus) to the picturesque village of Pyrgos and the monastery of Prophet Elias which offers 360 panoramic views over the island, then continue to Akrotiri for a historical guided tour, Red beach for a swim if you wish or just photos (it’s a beautiful spot, even just for photos).
- Later in the morning, we will head to the long, black sandy beaches of Perissa and Perivolos where you will have 1-2 hours free time for swimming and relaxing at one of the seaside cafes with sunbeds or enjoy lunch in one of the seaside restaurants.
DAY 11│ DEPART SANTORINI (B)
- Private transfer to the airport for your flight home today
- 7 days of accommodation, based on double occupancy with breakfast
- Transportation with 20seater A/C minibus, fuel consumption and tolls
- Tour guide for the entire trip
- All activities included in the program
- Airport transfers
- All taxes
- All activities as noted
- All necessary transfers in a 17-seater minibus
- Tour guide
- All taxes
- Breakfast daily, plus noted additional meals/tastings
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- International airfare
- Travel insurance
- Any meals not included in the price
- Any optional activities not included in the price
- Other expenses of personal nature & tips
- Domestic flights (to/from Santorini: approx. 175 – 200 euro pp)
- Additional meals